Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Seeing the Light

For some reason, I have a major problem with this:



No, not the table, not the chairs, not the runner, not the vase and not canisters.  It looms above the table, like a flying saucer...




I'm not sure what to make of this light fixture.  The minute we moved into the condo, the place seemed as if it needed no updates, but this light fixture just really irks me!  Perhaps it is just my own urge to put my stamp on our new place... But I think that I just really dislike it!  The more I look around though, the more it seems as if this is a contemporary light fixture.  Perhaps I am just being picky. One big problem I have with it is function.  The pictures above can be deceiving but this pendant lamp only has one small wattage light bulb and, for this space, it just does not give off enough light.  Another problem is superficial. To me this just is plain ole ugly with a capital UG!  So, while replacing this light fixture is not a priority,  I've spent the last year looking at new light fixtures at what seems like every single store where lighting fixtures are available.  The problem is, my taste apparently clashes completely with my husband's.  There were only two lighting fixtures we really liked together, and as discussed below, they just would not work.

Here are all the veto's I had received on my end:


Eclipse Chandelier from Z Gallerie

Erto Chandelier from Z Gallerie


Calais Chandelier from Z Gallerie

Bellina Chandelier in Platinum from Z Gallerie


Tuxedo Chandelier from Z Gallerie

Orb 6-Light Chandelier
Orb Six Light Chandelier from Ballard Designs

Clarissa Glass Drop Chandelier from Pottery Barn



Here is what I vetoed:


9-Arm Talia Chandelier
Talia 9 Arm Chandelier from Ballard Designs 

I just did not like the style or little shades on it! Maybe it'd be better without the tiny shades... 

And here's what we both ended up liking: 


Bellora Chandelier from Pottery Barn

Polished Nickel Scroll Chandelier, 8 light, from Shades of Light

But neither of these works either.  With the first one, some friends of ours actually have this in their home and it just seemed too formal for our open layout.  The second one we liked was a definite no because it costs THREE THOUSAND, FOUR HUNDRED and TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS! Noooooo way buddy!  Nope! Not going to happen! That's as much as a dining table or china cabinet with our budget and, even then, that is stretching it a bit far!   I can't even figure out what the heck makes it so expensive.  Is it solid white gold on the inside of that polished nickel, with a silk shade made from a extinct subspecies of rare silkworms? Who knows!  Too bad, that is my absolute favorite one of them all so far.  It's so stylish and modern but still simple, elegant and not too elaborate.  

Oh well, the search for the perfect light fixture continues. Hopefully we will come across one that matches our combined style as well as this last one.  At a fraction of the price of course! 


2 comments:

  1. nice choices! check out lumens.com for some very pretty and affordable choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! I've already seen a few great options there :)

    ReplyDelete