Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Working Red Pants

When I say "Working Red Pants" in the title of this post, I really mean working as in, "work it girl!" and not necessarily pants for work, although that is another great option.  A friend of mine recently told me of some red pants she purchased from Ann Taylor and mentioned that she had some trouble figuring out what to wear with them.  I think adding color, rather than changing a shape or fit, is just another great way to play with your own personal style.  Once a person gets used to the idea of the color, the possibilities can be as numerous as with a neutral piece.  Honestly, I didn't even think she needed my help to suggest looks, she already had some great ideas including pairing these with a navy blouse!  Brilliant!  My initial instinct with incorporating bright, colorful pieces is to start by pairing them with black and white garments as a base and experimenting from there.  A person's style is very much their own expression of themselves so I always say stick with whatever style you like but have fun with it!

These are the pants she bought.




Based on the above picture, I put together a few combinations of tops, bags and shoes I thought would put together some great outfits.  Taking into consideration my friend's navy suggestion, I included some navy and dark blues as well as my fall back black and white styles and worked in a polka dot print, a floral tee, stripes and taupe!  This was a great project.  I'd usually suggest pairing wide leg pants with a more fitted top but a few of these looser blouse-y tops would look great tucked into pants rather than kept loose.  With that last white prana butterfly style top on the right-middle,  I pictured those more with red cropped pants since they would better balance out a skinny bottom.

How cute is that black lace top with those pants for a night out?  Or that adorable polka dot blouse with the pants, those black peep toe pumps and that adorable straw tote bag?  We've got polka dots, bright color and a straw bag which are all calling out "summer!"  Even that sweet floral tee with the pants the nude patent leather heels and white bag are such a chic weekend outfit for going out to brunch with the girls.  How about that white blouse with the black collar, the pants, those black/white peep toe pumps and any of those three bags?  Amazing!  One of my favorite looks that's fashion forward but still keeps it classic is the fitted white button down, red pants, nude patent leather pumps and white bag.  LOVE!!! Also that striped top with the pants, nude patent leather pumps and white bag is adorably nautical.  I love all the possibilities!  I could go on and on and these are only a handful of color and print combinations that could be put together.  There is a world full of tops, shoes and bags I couldn't even fit in here.  But sticking to the basics (black, white, other neutrals) is always a great way to begin working in a colorful piece into your wardrobe.

I hope this helps my friend create her own vision of how she wanted to work these pants!  Go on girl!



Working Red Pants


Long sleeve shirt
$63 - coggles.com

Bow top
$50 - coast-stores.com

Warehouse sheer top
$75 - warehouse.co.uk

Margit Brandt knit top
€70 - welikefashion.com

PrAna top
$60 - altrec.com

Bellatrix printed shirt
$58 - nordstrom.com

Sheer top
$40 - modcloth.com

Mango tailored shirt
£28 - johnlewis.com

Paprika sleeveless top
£27 - very.co.uk

Polka dot top
$26 - maurices.com

Black top
$22 - pacificplex.com

Milly straight leg pants
$176 - piperlime.gap.com

Steve madden heels
$100 - stevemadden.com

Franco Sarto high heel pumps
$74 - endless.com

ALDO high heels
$80 - aldoshoes.com

2 Lips Too platform pumps
$70 - heels.com

Valentino black leather handbag
£100 - debenhams.com

Steve Madden straw tote bag
$69 - dillards.com

Big Buddha tote handbag
$67 - dillards.com

No comments:

Post a Comment