Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

When Your Pants Pop At Work

As the title of this post suggests, I had a minor "wardrobe malfunction" at work, when a button on my pants popped off today.  Thank goodness it happened while I was in the ladies room!  Another stroke of luck was that the button was inside the pants and, paired along with a hook for closure.

Believe it or not, I actually keep an old, spare sewing kit in the office for just such an emergency.  




Usually, I always tell myself when something like this happens is that I can just sew it, but I honestly never get around to it.  And eventually, whatever I put on the back burner for sewing (one day!) ends up going out of style -- I wait a really, really long time -- and it ends up getting tossed or donated.  So, after working a long day today, when I was ready to go home, I told myself I was going to sew this darn button back onto my pants.  

Have you ever noticed how manufactured clothing -- especially pants -- have some of the worst button sewing jobs on them?  The thread is completely loose and unsecured and the buttons are the first thing to go!   I even have an expensive wool coat -- the first nice coat I bought for myself when I got my first legal job -- and one of the darn buttons fell off that thing too!  You'd think for the price, they could have at least secured the buttons.  At least!! (Emphasis and redundancy added for effect).  Manufactured clothing is really letting me down.  It feels like, no matter what the label is, it's just not as well made as one would like or expect it to be for the price.  Bummer!

Here I am working on my button at the end of a long work day.  





Yes, that is navy thread.  The decision behind that was...  Well... It was already threaded in the needle from an earlier time!  OK!  I admit it!  I hate threading a needle.  Especially when I'm ready to go home for the day!  This job was quick but effective.





Having a sewing kit stashed at work for such an emergency really helped me be able to keep with my ideas of salvaging my clothing and making clothing last longer and retain wear-ability.  Note to self, keep those old sewing kits as backups everywhere.  You never know what will pop when!

The more I write this blog, the more I think it's evolving into discussing the in's and out's of D-I-Y style, which suits me just fine!  That's more me anyways.  I like seeing what's trending and seeing how I could make it work for me, in my budget and from what I already have.  I also like the idea of keeping  favorite and versatile pieces and making them last through whatever styles come and go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment